After a hot and humid summer, cooler weather is a welcome change. Even as you enjoy the shift from blisteringly hot days and sweltering nights, however, your skin may not make the transition so easily. Seasonal changes can be tough on the skin, but a good moisturizer makes all the difference.
It’s always a good idea to adjust your skincare routine with the changing seasons. If your skin is naturally on the dry side, it’s particularly important to choose the right moisturizer for your face and body. Here’s what you need to know about choosing the right body lotion for cooler, drier weather along with some helpful tips to keep your skin healthy and hydrated this fall and winter.
What to Look for in Body Lotion
When the weather starts to turn cold and dry, you may need to adjust your skincare regimen to help your skin stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol-based and consider switching to a cream-based cleanser. If you don’t already, use a richer moisturizer at night as well.
In addition to making these simple changes, think about switching up your facial moisturizer and body lotion. Keep your skin type in mind, but look for something that is designed to keep your skin hydrated and healthy during the cooler, drier months of fall and winter.
Here are some of the best hydrating and anti-dehydration ingredients to look for:
- Vegetable Glycerin – Also known as glycerine or glycerol, vegetable glycerin is a clear liquid derived from plants like coconut, soybean, or palm oil. This ingredient is packed with triglycerides and, in addition to moisturizing the skin, helps prevent moisture loss.
- Hyaluronic Acid – A naturally occurring sugar molecule found in the skin, hyaluronic acid helps bind water, effectively trapping it in the skin.
- Almond Oil – As the name suggests, this ingredient is derived from almonds and has been used in Ancient Chinese and Ayurvedic practices for centuries to soften and nourish the skin. Almond oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids as well as vitamins A and E.
- Fatty Alcohols – Not all alcohols are drying for your skin. In fact, fatty alcohols like cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, and behenyl alcohol act as emollients and help draw moisture into the skin while protecting its natural lipid barrier.
- Ceramides – These are a class of fatty acids known as lipids which are found naturally in the skin cells. Ceramides help lock moisture into the skin by supporting its natural protective barrier which prevents moisture from escaping. Ceramides are also naturally contained in plant oils like grapeseed oil.
If you’re not sure what kind of lotion is best for your skin, talk to a professional esthetician or consult Yon-Ka’s Skincare Advisor. Stop in to your local Yon-Ka Paris partner spa for custom skincare recommendations and a hydrating facial to get your skin ready for fall.
Two Yon-Ka Moisturizers for Cooler Weather
When it comes to healthy skin, quality ingredients make all the difference. Yon-Ka Paris creates phyto-aromatic treatments powered by nature to deliver authentic, scientifically proven results. As part of our extensive collection of moisturizers for the face and body, we recommend two specific body moisturizers for cooler weather: Lait Hydratant Detox and Lait Hydratant Vitality.
Key Ingredients: Lavender, everlasting, and petitgrain essential oils, glycerin, sodium PCA, ginseng, grapeseed oil, comfrey, sweet almond oil, vitamin E, Quintessence Yon-Ka
Featuring a hydrating combination of vegetable glycerin, grapeseed, and sweet almond oil, this nourishing body milk leaves the skin hydrated and replenished. Natural oils regenerate and soften the skin while ginseng extract delivers an uplifting dose of energy for the body and spirit. This treatment delivers immediate and long-lasting results, measured at 80% hydration 8 hours after application.
Apply to the body morning and/or evening after bathing, then gently massage into the skin to penetrate. Pair this product with Huile Detox, an invigorating dry oil for an added dose of quick-absorbing softness.
Key Ingredients: Mandarin and sweet orange essential oils, sweet almond oil, ginseng, grapeseed oil, glycerin, vitamin E, Quintessence Yon-Ka
Formulated with mandarin and sweet orange essential oils, this nourishing body milk hydrates the skin and rejuvenates the spirit. A 4% concentration of ginseng extract delivers an energizing effect while grapeseed and organic sweet almond oils soften and hydrate the skin. Yon-Ka’s proprietary Quintessence, composed of five essential oils, compounds the treatment’s healing benefits.
This formula melts into the skin within moments of application, replenishing much-needed moisture and rebuilding the skin’s natural lipid barrier to protect against future moisture loss. Apply a thin layer of this body milk to the entire body in the morning and/or evening following a shower or bath.
Skincare Tips for Fall and Winter
Your skin knows how to protect itself, but that doesn’t mean you can’t lend a helping hand. Take a few precautions and making some simple changes to your fall and winter skincare routine can help keep your skin moisturized throughout the season.
Here are some simple tips to keep your skin healthy and hydrated:
- Use a humidifier in your home or office. A humidifier is a simple way to add moisture to the air which can help keep your skin hydrated.
- Keep the thermostat at a reasonable temperature. When outside temperatures start to drop, it’s tempting to crank up the thermostat but doing so might make your home even drier. Keep it set between 68°F and 72°F for healthy skin.
- Avoid long showers and baths. A long, hot shower feels great when you come in from the cold but it’s not great for your skin. Hot water can strip your skin of its natural oils, so go for lukewarm water instead.
- Don’t skip the sunscreen. Even though you may not feel the heat of the sun as much as you do in the summer, its UV rays can still cause skin damage. In fact, snow and ice reflects the sun’s rays as much as 80%, so it’s worth applying broad-spectrum sunscreen before heading out.
Your skin is as unique as you are, so it may take some trial and error to find what works best for you. When making changes to your skincare routine, be sure to integrate new products slowly to avoid a negative reaction and always perform a test patch to be safe!