The Farmer’s Almanac predicts a “season of shivers” for the United States this winter. Editor Janice Stillman comments that, “this coming winter could well be one of the longest and coldest that we’ve seen in years.” Along with bone-chilling temperatures, Stillman predicts above-average snowfall.
Whether you put stock in the Farmer’s Almanac’s predictions or not, winter is a cold and dry season for many of us. While that may be good news for skiers and other winter sport enthusiasts, it can be bad news for your skin. The good news is a little prep work can help you protect your skin against biting temperatures and dry conditions. Here’s what you need to know about prepping your skin for a cold winter season.
Tips to Prepare Your Skin for Winter
Even if you take great care of your skin, the changing of the seasons can throw things out of whack. Your skin is designed to protect itself, but winter weather can be persistent, and all that dry air can leave your skin starved for moisture. It’s important to maintain the staples of your daily routine such as cleansing, moisturizing, and exfoliating, but a little extra care now and then can go a long way.
Here are some tips to help you prep your skin for winter:
- Start using a humidifier. Dry winter air can lead to nosebleeds and sore throats, but it can also dry out and even dehydrate your skin. Running a humidifier, if only in your bedroom at night, can help maintain proper moisture levels in the air.
- Keep up with exfoliation. Issues like uneven skin tone are more common during the summer months, but just because the seasons are changing doesn’t mean you should slack on your exfoliation routine. Regular exfoliation not only helps maintain your skin tone and texture, but it helps keep your pores clear to optimize the penetration of your skincare products.
- Switch to a richer cleanser. Your skin can’t get too much moisture during the winter, so consider switching to a hydrating cleanser to help maintain that moisture balance. Try Nettoyant Crème, a rich cream cleanser that soothes dry, dehydrated skin while delicately cleansing.
- Don’t skip the SPF. Just because it’s cold out doesn’t mean the sun stops producing UV rays. Sunscreen is essential year-round, even when you’re bundled up against the cold. Remember, snow reflects the sun’s rays so don’t forget your SPF while skiing or enjoying other winter sports outdoors.
- Moisturize right out of the shower. It’s best to strike while the iron is hot, so apply moisturizer when your skin is primed and ready to absorb it – right after a shower. Double down on moisture by applying a hydrating toner like Lotion Yon-Ka to your skin after cleansing while it’s still damp.
Though it may still feel like fall where you live, there’s one thing you can count on: winter is coming. Being proactive about preparing your skin for colder, dryer weather may save you months of dehydration and damage control. Do yourself and your skin a favor and start prepping your skin now.
Try These Yon-Ka Paris Products
View this post on Instagram
You don’t necessarily need to spend hundreds of dollars a month on beauty products to achieve and maintain healthy, glowing skin. Daily cleansing and moisturizing are some of the simplest and most effective steps you can take to keep your skin youthful and fresh. If you have the energy to add a few extra steps to your routine, however, Yon-Ka Paris has you covered.
Here are some of the top Yon-Ka Paris products for winter:
- Lotion Yon-Ka – A staple in any skincare routine, no matter the season, this invigorating toning mist refreshes and hydrates the skin. Powered by the healing energy of five essential oils with hydrating vegetal glycerin, Lotion Yon-Ka tones, purifies, and moisturizes the skin.
- Hydra No. 1 Crème – Formulated the fight dehydration, the Hydra No. 1 line is ideal for winter. This hydrating moisturizer is enriched with two forms of hyaluronic acid for long-lasting hydration along with hazelnut oil and shea butter for silky softness and smoothness.
- Hydra No. 1 Masque – Deliver the maximum dose of moisture with this deeply hydrating overnight mask. Enriched with a complex of aloe vera, vegetal glycerin, PCA, and imperata cylindrica, this mask restores optimal hydration levels and locks it in.
- Nutri Defense Creme – Comfort and repair dry skin with this creamy facial moisturizer. Infused with essential fatty acids and a highly concentrated blend of nourishing pre- and probiotics, this formula enhances the skin’s natural defenses and restores healthy balance to the microbiome.
- Defense + Booster – Boost your skin’s defenses against environmental elements with this silky antioxidant booster. A lightweight, dry facial oil comprised of over 99% natural ingredients, this booster bolsters the effects of your Yon-Ka moisturizer to meet the seasonal needs of your skin.
If you don’t already have a daily skincare routine in place, now is the perfect time to start! Even if you do, it’s a good idea to revise your skincare routine seasonally and make adjustments to the changing needs of your skin. Stop in to your local Yon-Ka Paris partner spa for customized skincare advice or consult the Yon-Ka Skincare Advisor to shop online.