There’s no rule stating that a daily skincare routine has to be complicated. A simple habit of cleansing, toning, and moisturizing is perfectly adequate for most people. If you have acne-prone skin, however, the task of choosing the right products may be a little trickier.
Acne occurs when hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Acne blemishes take many forms and numerous factors play a role in determining your risk for chronic acne. While some forms of acne are more difficult to treat than others, most cases can be managed at home with a daily skincare regimen and the right products.
The good news is there are more over-the-counter acne products available than ever, and they’re designed for all skin types. The challenge is finding the product that’s right for you and your skin. Here’s what you need to know before picking an acne product.
What Are the Options?
View this post on Instagram
From cleansers to creams, there’s no shortage of options when it comes to building your anti-acne skin regimen. However, it’s important to choose right or you risk drying out your skin and potentially damaging it.
The best products to include in a skincare routine for acne-prone skin include:
- Cleansers – Keeping your skin clean is a must if you want to prevent acne, but choosing a cleanser made with non-comedogenic ingredients is important.
- Toners – A toner is like a second-step cleanser – it helps remove impurities while hydrating the skin and balancing out your skin. It is important to choose an alcohol-free toner if you have acne-prone skin.
- Medicated Creams – If you are dealing with severe acne, you may want to consult a dermatologist about prescription cream options.
When shopping for skincare products in general, it’s wise to consider your skin type. Acne affects all skin types but people with oily skin tend to struggle with it more significantly.
If you have oily skin, stick to products that won’t clog your pores or sit too heavy on your skin. Foaming cleansers are preferable and you should choose gels and lightweight lotions over heavier cream moisturizers. For normal to dry skin, acne lotions and creams work well, as do alcohol-free toners and non-foaming cream cleansers.
You don’t have to settle on just one acne product, either. It’s wise to introduce one new skincare product at a time (to ensure your skin doesn’t react poorly) but combining multiple anti-acne products could help you maximize your results.
Active Ingredients to Look For
- Sulfur – This ingredient targets dead skin cells and sebum, so it may be helpful for treating whiteheads and blackheads.
- AHAs – Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) help cleanse the pores to prevent acne.
- Certain Essential Oils – Some essential oils have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties which may be beneficial for mild to moderate acne breakouts. Good examples are rosemary and thyme essential oils.
Once you’ve chosen an active ingredient, determine what strength to use. It’s best to start with a low concentration and use the product only twice a week until your skin adjusts. If your skin tolerates the product well, you can increase the concentration until you start seeing the results you want.
Spot Treatments vs. Full Face Products
Acne products can be divided into two main categories. The first is spot treatments – products that are designed to be applied directly to the affected area. The second category, full face products, are applied to the entire face or larger areas of skin.
A spot treatment works by delivering the acne-fighting ingredient directly where it’s needed. Many spot treatments fight the underlying causes of acne like clogged pores or excess oil, but they can also help resolve the side effects of acne blemishes like swelling and redness.
Yon-Ka Paris’ SOS Spot Roll-On makes it easy to target blemishes. This product delivers rapid relief to help heal blemishes and breakouts while soothing and purifying the skin. It’s an alcohol-free formula composed of 95% ingredients of natural origin.
Other spot treatments from Yon-Ka Paris include:
- Juvenil – This anti-blemish concentrate features an infusion of lactic acid to control sebum production and detoxify the skin.
- Crème 15 – This anti-blemish cream heals acne without drying out or aggravating the skin through a complex of burdock and sage.
- Emulsion Pure – This purifying emulsion helps reduce inflammation, control excess sebum, and reduce the frequency of breakouts.
Spot treatments are effective for surface-level blemishes, but additional care is often needed for nodules or cysts. For more comprehensive acne treatment, you may need to combine it with a full-face product.
If you’re looking for a full-face product for acne-prone skin, try Yon-Ka Paris Masque 103, Masque 105, Gommage Yon-Ka, or Crème PG.
Regular exfoliation is key for acne treatment and Gommage Yon-Ka is an excellent option as a 4-in-1 gel exfoliant and facial peel.
Crème PG is a moisturizer formulated to help balance sebum production while resolving the negative effects of acne like irritation and inflammation.
The Right Skincare Routine Can Clear Blemishes
When it comes to skincare, consistency is key. Once you’ve chosen an over-the-counter acne product, it’s important to use it regularly. If, however, you still aren’t seeing results after three or four months, it may be worth having a conversation with a skincare professional. Yon-Ka skincare treatments are designed to help sooth blemish-prone skin and your esthetician can help guide you on which products can help at home.
Regardless of what type of acne treatment you choose, it’s important to handle your skin with care. Try the Skincare Advisor to find the right products for your skin type of visit your local Yon-Ka Paris partner spa for a skin analysis and custom skincare advice.